The iVMS Guardian smartphone vessel monitoring app
AST’s vessel monitoring app, iVMS Guardian, is an efficient method of monitoring the vessels of an inshore fishery utilising the fishers’ own smartphones (Android & iOS compatible) to transmit their positions. Most smartphones today have inbuilt GPS which the app will utilise to send messages. Configurable remotely over air, messages (down to one every minute) with date, time, course, speed, heading, battery charging status and battery level are delivered shore side to a powerful – hosted in the cloud Graphic User Interface Application VMS GAP (Global Alerting Platform).
The iVMS Guardian smartphone vessel monitoring app is easy to download and set up and intuitive to use. Once the app is opened there is only one touch screen button – “start” for the fishers to press to activate the app transmitting its position. The app has “store and forward of position reports”. This means when the vessel is outside cellular coverage, the app will buffer all the position reports and transmit them when it returns within coverage over cellular or even WIFI so no positional data is lost.
At the end of the fishing trip the fisher simply press “stop” and the app will cease transmitting its position.
The iVMS Guardian is a powerful vessel monitoring app with a number of value add additional features to encourage stake holder compliance:
- SOS – alert transmitted with one press of touch screen alert button.
- Check in – Failure to check in (configurable schedule) – will automatically ensure shore side GAP monitoring application automatically sends alert by SMS or email to recipient of their choice.
- Two way messaging with shore side monitoring application.
- Man down – no motion from SMART phone (man down) after pre set interval, the shore side GAP can be configured to send alert to recipient of their choice.
- Geofence -automatic alerts when entering, crossing or exiting pre defined geozones.